Now You're Talking My Language!

What Are These?

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

My Moment of Shame

Last week, I made an embarrassing mistake at a meeting.  I knew something was wrong when I got a call from our school overseer at 9:30 PM the night before our service meeting.  It seems that there was a mistake in the date he had written on the slip he had given me for a talk.  Instead of my talk being next week, it was tomorrow.  Being the procrastinator I am with talks, I hadn't even looked over it yet.  I decided to stay in from service the next morning to write it out.  That night, I was more nervous than normal, trembling when I had to stand up.  The talk went well though....or so I thought.  After the meeting, some of my friends couldn't wait to tell me what I had unknowingly done in my talk.  Although the talk was in English, I threw in a few commonly used Spanish terms.  Well, it seems that one of the terms I used, although innocent here in Nicaragua, is one of the worse curse words you can use in surrounding areas.  We had some visiting friends who were shocked to here me use the term in the talk.  To make matters worse I said it not once.....but twice......AND the Circuit Overseer was in the second row.  Shining moment, indeed.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds little like story i heard some yrs ago about a newly arrived(limited Spanish)gringo who was reminding the brothers about meeting for service Sat am at Bro So & So's house ..and inadvertently said they would be meeting at the brothers sat a.m. for Cervesa?(beer) rather than service.... cant be too careful n translating and sure to make some mistakes.. not to fret...

    ReplyDelete