Now You're Talking My Language!

What Are These?

Friday, March 23, 2012

Get to Know Our Need Greaters- Bree


 
Get to Know Our Need Greaters- Bree
 

Where are you from?

St. Louis

Why did you choose to be a need greater?

I had a lot of good role models growing up so this has always been my goal. When I was about the age of 12, a couple pioneer sisters came into my hall and they really adopted me as if I was their fleshly sister. They took me on their bible studies and we would hang out. They never made me feel like I was a little kid even though they were in their mid-20's. One of the sisters got married and went to Bethel.   Later on, she and her husband did missionary work in Ecuador. All the while, she would send me letters, encouraging me to put Jehovah first. She would often share with me all the blessings she received in the full time work. Her special interest in me really encouraged me to pursue a similar life course.

Why Nicaragua?

My cousin and I were trying to find a place where she and I both felt comfortable serving. When we made our decision to go, we didn't have enough time to contact the Branch via letter. So, we relied on our contacts. We started to get a little discouraged because things weren't panning out as fast as we would have liked. However, she was communicating with one of her friends who just moved home to Nicaragua and was expressing to them our desire to serve somewhere. The next thing we knew, we were invited to Nicaragua and within days, the elders from Granada English contacted our family members and elders in the States. The process went so smoothly, there was no doubt in our minds that Jehovah had his hand in the matter.

Have you served anywhere else?

No, Nicaragua is the first country I have ever served in. In the states, I am assisting a Spanish congregation.

How long will you be here and how long have you served thus far?

I served In Granada for a month but, I plan on coming back to serve for at least 3 months.

How did you prepare to come?

I have been saving up money for a little over a year now. I actually have a "need greater account" that I try not to touch so that I can serve for a long period of time. I switched over to a Spanish congregation in the States because I always had the desire to serve in a Spanish speaking country. I wanted to be somewhat prepared for the language barrier. I did a lot of research on the area as far demographics, economy, lifestyle; so I had an idea of what I was getting into.  I also did this to find a way to relate to the people in my new territory. I knew friends who have served in Nicaragua in the past so I gathered as much advice as I could from them.

Were you worried about anything before coming down here?

I was terrified of getting a parasite. But once you live there, you realize that it's really not a big deal. Everyone there takes medicine for it. It's normal! I was also scared of the unknown. No matter how much research you do, you'll never know what it’s like to live in a different country until you get there. But, you have to except that you will be making sacrifices. You won’t have the same comforts as you have in the States. However, the blessings you receive from taking the steps to serve make the sacrifices hardly noticeable.

Have you had to overcome any challenges to get here or while serving here?

Believe it or not, there were well meaning people who told me not to come and serve in Nicaragua. It's not that they didn't want me to put Jehovah first but they were scared for me because it was a third world country and felt it was dangerous. But, I had to focus on the reason why I wanted to serve in a different country....which was to bring praise to Jehovah's name and serve in my fullest capacity. I had to rely on Jehovah and not give in to the fear of man. Also, to be able to leave my job for such a long period of time I had to deny benefits. Due to the way my job is set up, I can't have Sundays off nor take long periods of time off for Mission trips under part-time or full-time status. So I work Per Diem (on call hours). This was hard for me to do because having benefits and tuition re-reimbursement is very tempting for someone on a pioneer budget. However, the month I spent in Nicaragua was PRICELESS and I have no regrets. It's hard to live on a limited budget but I'm truly happier giving my time to Jehovah rather than my job.

Do you have any highlights or good experiences from being here?

One of my best experiences was starting a bible study with a young lady who was having marital issues. She has had so many struggles in her life and was so desperate to find satisfying answers to her questions. Literally every question she asked me was a bold sub-title in the Bible Teach book, so I really looked forward to our "2 hour" bible studies and to show her that she can find her answers in the bible and that Jehovah truly cares for her.

How has being here brought you closer to Jehovah?

It taught me to rely on Jehovah for one because I had to learn how to adapt to a completely different environment. It taught me to be more appreciative of his creations. I was so awe inspired by the volcanoes, the ocean, canals, and exotic fruits I saw. There is no denying we have a creator. Seeing such a fruitful territory made me appreciate his patience more and meeting so many loving friends from all over the world made me appreciate his organization more. In a nutshell, being in Nicaragua magnified Jehovah's qualities even more because I had less distractions in my life and I was able to pay better attention and it became even more evident that Jehovah is the ONLY true God.

What did you do in your free time as a need greater?

I went exploring! I went to visit different areas of Nicaragua, that the friends I met at the assembly lived in. It was quite an adventure.

What advice do you have for others thinking of coming?

Rely on Jehovah. Familiarize yourself with the new territory and take advantage of every second you have to serve as a need greater! Oh, and bring lots of bug spray!

 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for these interviews. I'm really enjoying them. It's nice to hear comments from other needgreaters. Keeps our desire to go back alive and in front of us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you like them! I hope you guys make it back soon :-) Maybe for the convention in Honduras!!!

    ReplyDelete