Now You're Talking My Language!

What Are These?

Monday, January 24, 2011

We preached in Hell today!

A few days ago, I preached in an area called Inferno (Hell).  Although this is cool season in Granada (high 80s low 90s), it was quiet toasty in Inferno.  We met at 7:15AM  and stayed until about 4:30PM.  The area is located on Volcano Mombacho.  Besides our literature, we packed breakfast, lunch, snacks and, plenty of liquids which all became quite heavy but I was glad I had it.  Although we only stayed for the day, Inferno is part of one of the many areas in Nicaragua where brothers and sisters do giras.  A gira is typically a three day preaching tour over grueling, hard to reach areas.  Everyone packs 3 days worth of supplies, sleeping gear etc and sleeps at predesignated areas (usually by a river) with brothers taking turn keeping watch every night.  My health did not allow me to go on the last gira I heard about (more about that later) so I figured I'd try it for one day.  One could take a motorcycle or bicycle part of the way in but, eventually the terrian becomes too rocky or sandy to do anything besides hike.  For this reason, there are currently no bible studies conducted here, but a group does visit monthly.  I came home all dusty but I had a great time and definitely plan to do it again!

Let's go!
Brother trying to find the way.  There are no maps or set trails.
'Ok, I KNOW the trail is around here!'

Maybe over there?
Here it is!

A brother making sure we stay together.
Taking a break

 The surrounding area.

I can't walk any more!! 

Lunch time!


We had been humming the Kingdom Melodies as we walked but didn't know some of the words so this sister whipped out her book at lunch!

Ok, back to walking!  We walked so much that the trail ran out....


 So, we had to climb down to the next level of the volcano.  None of us visitors knew to expect this.  As we approached, all of our faces dropped one by one and each one laughed at the next!  Fortunately we got the translation not to step in the middle of that plank or it would snap!
 One by one we climbed down...

 Older ones....
And younger ones

In all that walking, we would find a house every 1/2 mile or so.  We would be so excited we'd race each other to the door!  Anybody home?

 




No comments:

Post a Comment