Now You're Talking My Language!

What Are These?

Monday, July 4, 2011

How bad do you want it?

I thought I did a pretty good job of buying everything I needed during my last visit to the States but apparently not.   One of the great things about Nicaragua is that most of the food is fresh.  No preservatives.  It took me awhile to figure out why all my food would go rotten in the fridge in a couple of days, and that is why.  Another down side to all fresh food is that no one buys cans.   I decided to break from the norm and buy a can of tuna at the store the other day for a quick meal. For some reason I couldn't find the can opener.  I looked all over the house.  Nothing.  After about 30 minutes I finally asked someone.  After about 10 minutes back and forth in Spanish they understood what I wanted.  Hooray!  So where is it?  We don't own one.  Great.  Rather than just eat something else, I decide that I am absolutely determined to get this can open.  I remember a friend showing me how to open a can with a knife once so I decide to try that.  One after another, I go through all the knives in the kitchen drawer--stabbing the top of the tuna can only to have it flip, roll and otherwise mock me.  Finally, I find a really sharp butcher knife and Eurica!!!!!  I made a tiny hole in the top of the can!  Oh yeah, now we are talking!  How many pin sized holes will it take to open this can?  Afrer making more wholes than I want to admit,  I noticed a smooth rock on the counter that we use to break ice.  Side bar- for some reason, we fill plastic zip lock sized bags with water and freeze them here.  When we want ice, we get the frozen bag and beat it to death with a rock until it is broken enough to fit in a glass.  I've seen ice trays in the country but this seems to be the preferred method.  So back to my tuna dilemma.  So now I have the extra sharp knife and the rock.  After a few wacks, I get the "bang, bang, wiggle" right and am able to go all the way around the can in about a minute.  I've never felt so excited to get a can of tuna open!

No comments:

Post a Comment