Now You're Talking My Language!

What Are These?

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Service Experience

I had a really nice experience in service a few days ago from using the new "Learn from God's Word" series on page 16 of the Watchtower magazine.  I went to a door a couple of months ago with a brother and the woman we met told him in Spanish immediately that she wanted a bible study.  She said it really casually so I wasn't sure if she was serious or just trying to get rid of us.  I guess the brother saw that I was trying to figure this out so he kept telling me that yes, she said she really wants to study.  I asked her for a good time but she told me she was really busy with this and that and I should just come by periodically.  So, I did so and most of the time she was busy.  She works in a busy corner store and is always distracted but, she listens.  I tried the "What Does the Bible Really Teach" book that we study with people along with their personal copy of the bible. However, every time we opened the book, she would get a flood of customers.  So, I decided to use the new series in the magazine.  It worked wonderfully!  We were able to look at one or two scriptures and cover a point every week...sometimes more than one in a week.  When we reached the end of the second series which considered the hope of the resurrection, she got all teary eyed thinking of how wonderful it would be to see her mom again.  The following week I decided to try the book again to go into the chapter on "What Hope for Dead Loved Ones."  Again, as soon as we opened the book, customers flooded in.  I waited patiently determined to at least cover the first 3 paragraphs, which we did.  Afterwards, I told her that my being there was good for her business since business picks up when we study.  She laughed and told me that she is really enjoying the study and it is good for her heart.  She loves what she is learning and wants to be able to focus 100% on it so the next time I visit, she is going to shut the store down so that we are uninterrupted!  I could barely contain my joy!  I asked if she wanted me to come at a time when business is slow.  She said that it does not matter when I come.  The study is far more important than any amount of business!  I'm so glad that I did not write her off based on my judgement of her.  Jehovah truly is the one "who makes it grow" (1 Corinthians 3:6,7).  Want to read  the book we are studying?  Click here!

No comments:

Post a Comment