Now You're Talking My Language!

What Are These?

Thursday, January 19, 2012

The little things Jehovah does...

I was just thinking about our lesson this week from the yearbook which gave experiences of how being known as one of Jehovah's Witnesses can be a protection.  It can also be a help in other ways too.  I had two very simple unexpected experiences that stemmed from my always being out in the ministry.  One was with a taxi driver.  We have meetings for service almost everyday and I try to always support the group if I'm able.  That means I'm back and forth to the Kingdom Hall everyday in the morning and in the afternoon like clock work.  Sometimes I take a taxi if I'm running late but I try to walk to save the money and since the mile hike is good exercise.  On the occasions I do take a taxi, I usually chat up the driver and try to give a witness.  Well, I was walking the other day and a taxi pulled up beside me and offered me a ride.  I recognized the driver but declined telling him I didn't have any money.  He told me it was OK.  So, I went ahead and took the ride.  As we were driving, I thanked him and offered him a tract to read but he declined saying he was happy with his religion.  I started to think, uh oh that means he's about to hit on me!  Why else would he give me a ride?!  Why did I get into the car!??  But as I was silently chastising myself he said that he sees me everyday in all parts of the city, always walking and preaching to people.  Although he didn't want to visit the hall, he said that he really respects what the Witnesses do and that God told him to help me that day in my ministry.  It's funny as soon as I got in he said, "You are going to the Kingdom Hall right?!"  It's nice to know that even if people aren't always interested in the message, they do see us and appreciate the work we do for Jehovah.

I had a similar experience a few days ago as well.  I tend to wear shoes out very, very fast.  My current shoes were barely staying together.  (You know it's bad when in the middle of a bible study the student looks down at your feet and says with great concern, "Dear, you REALLY need some new shoes." :-)  Anyway, right around that time, a visiting sister left some shoes for whomever could fit them and I happened to be that very fortunate person! Although they are quite sturdy, I already had a strap break on them and needed it fixed. ( I never thought I'd be excited to have "sturdy" shoes... my how times change!)  Anyhow, there is a man that shines shoes on one of the corners I pass quite often.  I happened to notice that he had shoe repair items as well so I asked him if he could fix my shoe, to which he replied yes and said he could fix it then.  I told him I'd return since I was headed to a call.  He asked if he could see the shoe closer so I held up my foot.  "A little closer.." he asked.  As I came closer, he snatched my shoe off of my foot and immediately pulled out his tools leaving me hobbling awkwardly on one foot.  As I looked perplexed he smiled and said, "I have time!"  He worked quickly as the sister and I looked on.  As I slipped my shoe back on I asked him how much the repair was.  He paused then said, "No charge!"  I gave him a suspicious look to which he replied, "I see you walking all the time, often passing by many times in the same day.  I know you are hard on your shoes because of all the preaching you do." So, this was his gift to the work!

Jehovah has such a warm way of working through different people to give us just what we need, right when we need it! Even when we don't see a response in our ministry, we never know what affect we are having on people.  Ecclesiastes 11:6 "In the morning sow your seed and until the evening do not let your hand rest; for you are not knowing where this will have success, either here or there, or whether both of them will alike be good."

5 comments:

  1. Your blog posts are SO encouraging. Thanks!!! They played a definite role in our plans for the future. Keep it coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Kim. My name is Renee and I'm a regular pioneer serving in Louisiana. I am considering serving as well after I attend Pioneer School for a second time. I'm so happy I found your wonderful blog! It is so inspiring. Imagine my surprise when I saw a familiar face, Sis. Kelly in Pearl Lagoon. We were in the same congregation with her for years in the States! Just know that I pray for you in your assignment and hope to share your joy of serving someday soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for taking the time to write me. I always hope that someone is reading and is moved in someway to feel even more love and gratitude towards Jehovah. Everyday I feel humbled and overwhelmed at the privilege to serve in this capacity. I realize that not everyone currently has the circumstances to do this so, this is my way of taking you all on the journey with me :-) Agape, Nica Chica

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Nica Chica,
    I came across your blog a little while ago and treat myself to a short read now and then slowly working my way through. I fall into the category you mentioned as I'm currently my parents' carer.
    You are right, it is your way of taking us on the journey. Thank you for the rides it is so encouraging.
    Well done on your self-sacrificing service and spiritual growth. We will catch up one day maybe before but definitely after Armageddon.
    Agape and Philia and a big hug from Sister Andrea in Tasmania, Australia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your encouraging words sis! Big hugs from Atlanta!

      Delete