Now You're Talking My Language!

What Are These?

Sunday, January 8, 2012

Yucca-Not so Yucky :-)

Yucca (pronounced Yoo'kuh) is one of the more popular vegetables here in Nicaragua.  Most people boil it and serve it plain as a side dish.  Although somewhat like a potato, I'm not a big fan of it.  Being on a budget as a need greater however, calls for us to use the local foods since they are much more affordable than some of the foods with which we may be more familiar.  Potatoes are expensive here and since I had a taste for french fries, I decided to experiment with fried yucca.  Everything tastes good fried !!  I looked up the health properties online and it also seems to be pretty good for you.  Jehovah made soo many interesting things for us to eat! So here's my yucca experiment:

A small yucca root


I got a little grossed out at the veiny texture as I started to peel it.  The more I cut, it started to smell a kinda strange too.  So strange that I actually stopped cutting and put a pot of rice on in case it tasted equally nasty Bleh!

Sliced to somewhat resemble fries.

I fried them for a few minutes in vegetable oil.  After I added a little salt and ketchup they actually weren't half bad!  Maybe I can sell the idea to McDonalds :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment