Now You're Talking My Language!

What Are These?

Saturday, April 9, 2011

Incredible Lessons in Love While in Bluefields

We had our District convention last September right after I arrived in Nicaragua.  I had been curious about the Atlantic Coast for some time so, I made sure I met plenty of people I could potentially visit during my year here.  One such person was Mavis.  Actually, we only spoke very briefly.  I said in passing that I'd like to visit her city one day and she in turn said I could stay with she and her family.  We swapped information and sure enough, every few months she would call or text me to see when I would visit.  In Nicaragua people always keep their word and mean what they say.  I postponed my trip a few times to make sure we had adequate service coverage for our group here in Granada but all the while we stayed in contact.  When I arrived at her house where she lives with her mom and sister there were many visitors there.  Several other brothers and sisters had arrived about 15 minutes before me.  After conversing abit I realized they were not just there for lunch but had just taken a two and half day journey to come to Bluefields for the Assembly.  So all ten of us would be staying at the house for the week.  The more the merrier!  There was a special pioneer couple along with the brother's younger sister and three younger brothers.  The family had gotten up enough money for the tickets to the assembly and would be working during the week of the assembly for their tickets back.  They worked at the wharf and did yard work.  Now this is not the yardwork we are used to in the States.  These brothers would leave in the morning and come back at sundown.  They cleared out brush in deep tropical areas with nothing but a machete.  No lawnmower, no car.  When they weren't working they were helping at the house or in the ministry.  The sister was working hard too.  She made several new outfits for the young sister, cut hair etc.  She even surprised me and bought a second hand dress and sewed it to fit me as well as making me a cute new service bag from scratch.  Even the little girl who was nine chipped in.  If she saw anything out of place, she would fix it, grab a mop and start cleaning etc. all without anyone saying a word to her.  Every night she would go to her room at exactly 9:00PM to do her daily bible reading and go to sleep.  One night, she fell asleep before completing it.  I awoke the next morning to the sound of her voice reading.  I fumbled around for my phone to check the time and it was a few minutes before 5AM!  I couldn't even be mad at being woken up so early because I was so proud that that was the first thing she thought to do when she woke up.
By 5:30 every morning, Kingdom Melodies were blasting in the house and everyone was up and about.  I've been learning to become more of a morning person but I still typically need a few minutes to myself in the morning to wake up a bit before being sociable.  I guess Jehovah decided I needed a bit more refining in that area.  Since I was sharing a room (and a bed) I didn't have that opportunity.  There was no sink in the bathroom so I had to walk outside to the pila (concrete sink where we wash clothes) to wash my face and brush my teeth.  Even at 5:30AM neighbors were already walking by and at least 6 other bright smiling faces were already washing up.  Their cheerfullness couldn't help but rub off on me.  Despite being busy in the ministry and secular work, there was plenty of work at the house.  There was no running water so we had to get water from the well.  Every morning and evening, the brothers drew enough water for all ten of us to use for the toilet, bathing, cooking, drinking, washing clothes etc.  You don't realize how much water you need till you have to get it from a well!  I am soo thankful to them for drawing all the water.  The one time none of them were home, it took me 30 minutes to draw all the water and carry it back and forth to the pila before I could spend the next several hours hand washing my clothes.  Everyone in the house was always laughing and smiling though all this work.  No one argued that they were tired or it wasn't their turn.  Everything worked like clockwork.  I'm so thankful for all that we learn from the bible about love as it really shone through in this experience.


Some of the brothers who stayed at the house.
Washing dishes inside
Breakfast!
Our hostess taking fresh coconut bread out of the oven.
Staying with these friends was such an incredibly humbling and emotional experience.
The first night I was there, this is what we had for dinner.  We each got a hunk or two of bread and a small spoon of beans (that tiny pot had to feed 10 people)  Sometimes the hostess or her daughters might not even get beans.  We would have a small pitcher of tea or punch of which everyone would get about a quarter of a cup.  I remember walking in and feeling worried that their wouldn't be enough.  On the contrary, the special pioneer sister walked in and was overwhelmed by all the bread exlaiming, "What a blessing from Jehovah!"  It truely was a blessing because we all ate and were quite full afterwards.  Every meal was like this with very little but just like when Jesus passed the bread and fishes around, there was more than enough.  I can honostly say I never felt hungry.  We were always full and ready for all the preaching and physical labor that needed to be done.  What a blessing indeed!
(Hebrews 13:5) . . .Let [YOUR] manner of life be free of the love of money, while YOU are content with the present things. For he has said: “I will by no means leave you nor by any means forsake you.”

(Psalm 37:25) 25 A young man I used to be, I have also grown old, And yet I have not seen anyone righteous left entirely, Nor his offspring looking for bread.
(Matthew 6:31-33) . . .So never be anxious and say, ‘What are we to eat?’ or, ‘What are we to drink?’ or, ‘What are we to put on?’ 32 For all these are the things the nations are eagerly pursuing. For YOUR heavenly Father knows YOU need all these things. 33 “Keep on, then, seeking first the kingdom and his righteousness, and all these [other] things will be added to YOU.

(Philippians 4:12-13) 12 I know indeed how to be low [on provisions], I know indeed how to have an abundance. In everything and in all circumstances I have learned the secret of both how to be full and how to hunger, both how to have an abundance and how to suffer want. 13 For all things I have the strength by virtue of him who imparts power to me.




Capable wife, indeed!  Erica showing me one of the outfits she made for Laila.

(Proverbs 31:10) . . .A capable wife who can find? Her value is far more than that of corals.
(Proverbs 31:21) 21 She does not fear for her household because of the snow, for all her household are clothed with double garments.



Haircuts before the Assembly.
 Helping with breakfast.
Washing dishes at 6AM
One of the boys snapped this picture of me rinsing dishes early one morning.  Everyone thought it was funny to see me working, lol.
Laila always looking for a way to help.

The fam at the Assembly!
Another picture before the Assembly.
Elsa glammed up for the Sunday session :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment