Now You're Talking My Language!

What Are These?

Saturday, April 9, 2011

Up close and way too personal

Ok, I will begin this post by saying this little story is not for the faint of heart.  So if you are easily grossed out, stop reading now!  Alright, with that said, I told you all that I would tell you any funny stories that happened to me out here.  This is funny and really embarrassing.  While in Bluefields, I threw caution to the wind and went eating pretty much everything.  One afternoon, I started not feeling so well.  I sat down to dinner with the family wondering if I could even get through it.  About two bites in, I abruptly left to get some soda from the corner store as I was feeling worse quickly.  When I returned, I knew I wouldn't make it through dinner so I just excused myself and went to lay down.  I stared at the ceiling and tried to will my stomach to feel better.  Thirty minutes went by and things were going down hill fast.  By 8:30 PM, my stomach started speaking in tongues and demanding that I get up.  I decided to hold out since I knew everyone would go to sleep at 9.  9:00 PM rolls around and why oh why have they decided to watch a movie??!!  I continued to lay there until about 9:30PM when I just couldn't take it anymore.  I tried to console myself by thinking, 'Well, at least they have the TV turned up really loud.'  I walked to the bathroom.  Now, all the brothers in the living room saw me and must have thought they were disturbing me with the loud movie so they turn the TV ALL THE WAY DOWN!  Great.  Now mind you, the house is not built like ones in the States.  There is a roof and walls but no ceilings.  So, in essence, it's like we are all in one giant room with partitions between us where you can hear EVERYTHING.  The restroom is right next to the living room-use your imagination.  Sigh.  So, afterwards, I take the walk of shame back to my room thinking, "Ok, I just hope nobody goes in there for a while."  No sooner than I have that thought, I hear the bathroom door open and ALL of the brothers start parading in and out to fill up all the water for the following morning.  All I could do was put the pillow over my head and wish I could disappear.  Unfortunately that's not the end.  Everyone went to sleep and I was still not well.  I was up all night, back and forth.  At least everyone was asleep right?  Of course not.  I had to keep getting buckets of water for the bathroom; the sound of which would reverberate through the ceilingless house so EVERYONE heard EVERYTIME I got up.  In the morning, I just laid in bed staring blankly out the window feeling weak and scared to face anyone.  I kept hearing the "Smelly Cat" song from Friends in my head (it was SO not my fault).  Around noon, one of the sisters walked into my room and announced that I had visitors.  Before I could sit up, friends from the Bluefields congregation as well as those who had arrived by boat from the city I had just visited started coming in to check on me.  Apparently, everyone in the house had been talking about how I had been up all night and were speculating on who's food made me so sick.  Visitors from at least 3 congregations were represented and everyone made sure to tell me how awful I looked.  Thanks lol.  For the first day of the assembly, people I barely knew kept coming up and asking how I was!  The funny thing about the coast is that it really is like family.  Everyone knows everything and will rush to your side to make sure you are ok.  I hope my embarrassing story gave you a laugh for the day :-)  Ahh life in Nicaragua!

No comments:

Post a Comment