Now You're Talking My Language!

What Are These?

Saturday, March 19, 2011

Betty's Bread Shop

I mentioned in a previous post how important it is to learn to cook the local foods in order to stay on budget.  It's also a good way to enjoy the culture.  I'm always walking up to ladies cooking in their big cast iron pots on their porches to see what they are making and ask for tips.  Well, there is a bakery here that I frequent with great coconut bread, ginger biscuits and all sorts of goodies for just a few cents each so I am in there pretty much every day trying something new.  (I'm sure you will start to see me getting chunky in subsequent pictures!)  Anyhow, Ms. Betty and her daughter in law Lecia and I  became fast friends my first day here.  Lecia has visited the Kingdom Hall and her husband Byron has a bible study.  One day they invited me to come and learn to cook turtle as well as seeing how they make some of the desserts I love.  So after I finished morning ministry, I headed over for to learn during my lunch break.  She even closed the shop for several hours so we could relax and eat lunch there.  My roomate and another sister joined me and we had a ball!
There is no sign out front but the smell of fresh bread drifting out to the street lets you know you are in the right place.


There's Ms. Betty!
 
Lecia always has a warm smile.
Getting down to business....cooking the turtle.

Getting dessert ready!


 Is it ready yet??!
Ready to see the turtle?!

Tada!!  Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment