Now You're Talking My Language!

What Are These?

Thursday, March 3, 2011

What I've learned lately...

So what’s been happening…  I’ve used an outhouse it actually wasn’t that bad.  Most of the sisters here say you have to just go off into the dense brush most of the time since some of our territory can be way out (too much info, I know!).  I’ve also had to get water from a well.  Most people here do not have running water.  So, I now know that if you offer to wash the dishes after dinner at someone’s house, you are also offering to go fetch water from the well to do so!  The first time was kind of hard since the well was deep and the bucket got really heavy.  Not to mention I was standing ankle deep in mud and trying not to splash my “nice” clothes lol.  It was fun though and now I have the technique down.  I’ve learned that you have go to the wharf at 6:00AM in order to get fresh turtle meat and I’m getting to know the fishermen that give a good deal as well as how to pick out a good fish.  Since being here, in Nicaragua, I’ve learned way more than I want to about plumbing.  For some reason all plumbing here seems to be bad.  I now know how to snake a drain and if that doesn’t work, I can get under the sink take the pipes apart clear the gunk out and put it back together.  Anybody need a plumber? 

Learning how to clean and cook whole fish


1 comment:

  1. That actually looks like the fish I used to eat at my Grandmas when I spent summers at her house. There is also the similarity of bathroom. Used to bath in a tin pail. Even so it was some of the best summers I remember as a child. Seeing your smile makes me think this will be one of the best years in your life. Blessings to you Kim.

    ReplyDelete