Now You're Talking My Language!

What Are These?

Thursday, March 3, 2011

It's all about the shoes

Although it is dry season, it has been raining every day, several times per day.  It’s really damp so my clothes are taking days and days to dry while hanging in my room and some are starting to mildew in the process.  It typically rains again before they can dry on the line outside so one suggestion has been to put them in the sun on our tin roof before the rain starts.  I have yet to try that one… I am so, so, so, so eternally grateful to my Aunt Cherrie who sent me rain boots.  I didn’t need them in Granada for the dry season but boy are they helping me now!  There is thick mud, deep, deep puddles and wet sand to trudge through here.  Even closed toe shoes don’t work when the weather is like this.  We have to do acrobatics across thin logs and sticks to pass through mud.  If you fall to either side, you land in mud way up your leg.  Some people have make-shift bridges leading to their doors.  I found out the hard way that they are really not secure when I stepped on one and it nearly gave way flipping me into mud and water below!
The people here are very hospitable.  When it rains too hard, we just walk up to anyone’s porch and say hello and mention you are just waiting for the rain to stop.  They just walk into the house and bring out however many chairs they have and stand as we all sit and wait for it to subside. 
Eating corn from a neighbor while waiting for the rain to stop.

Our CO getting in on the fun



I thought I still looked nice despite getting wet in the rain........

........Until I turned around!

No comments:

Post a Comment