Now You're Talking My Language!

What Are These?

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

The Daily Routine

Our day started each morning at 4:30 A.M.  We only had water between 4 and 7 A.M.  So, as soon as we would get up, we'd start gathering water.  For the first month we didn't even get water daily because we were in dry season.  When we ran out, we had to haul water from a neighbor's well.  We placed a long stick through the handle of the paint bucket and each sister held one end of the stick as we walked back and forth up the street.  We also had another large bucket we would carry on our heads full of water.  (Yes, I did do this and my roommate thought it was hilarious so she took a picture but I don't have a copy!) Once our clothes started to pile up and we didn't have enough water to wash, we would have to go to the river.  Fortunately, once it got to that point and I was actually walking to the river, the water came on so I was able to wash normally.  Many of the sisters who pioneer actually get up at 3AM so they can have time to wash for the whole family!  So, back to the routine....We had one faucet which was in the kitchen.  First, we'd fill about 15 Coke bottles with water to be used for drinking and cooking throughout the day.  Next, we'd fill a large container for bathing.  We would later fill a painters bucket with water from this container for each of us to bathe.  Next, we would fill the sink outside for washing clothes.  It took about 4 painters buckets.  Last of all, we would let the kitchen sink fill for whatever else we might need it for.  While one person filled water, another fed the dogs, cat, chickens and pigs and the sister would start cleaning the house.

We used the orange bowl to fill the large white-ish tank and subsequently to fill the paint bucket to carry to the shower.

Next, we would start to prepare breakfast and lunch.  Usually, by the time one person was done cooking and serving breakfast, the person who showered first would come in and make lunch and the third person would clean.  Everything worked like clock work with out schedules or bickering.  Everyone just stepped in as needed.  What wonderful training we receive from the Bible about how to work together!  The time for the meeting for service changed depending on the territory.  When we had long overnight trips we would leave at 5:30AM.  If we had really far to walk to the service meeting, or a long bus ride, we might leave at 6AM.  When the friends met at our house, the meeting was at 7:30AM.  The friends  LOVE being together and being in service.  When everyone was to meet at our house at 7:30AM, the friends would start arriving at 5:45AM!  If we were not already up, they would stand at our bedroom door giggling and yelling our names until we got up to make coffee and talk.  For the life of me I couldn't understand how they could be so chipper so early!  Later, I found out that they would walk 8 miles from their house just to get to the meeting and were just excited to be together!

After morning service, we would all meet at whoever's house was in the territory and eat lunch together.  If you didn't have lunch, the sisters at that house would cook for everyone and make sure we had cold beverages and full tummys.  Those who had return visits and studies would disperse from there while the others would laugh and talk and nap together for the next several hours.  The territory was so plentiful that we would often be on calls right up until the sun went down and we practically had to run home while there was still light.  Once home, we'd laugh and talk some more while cooking, cleaning and reading a bit before bed.  Every now and then we would try to watch a movie or TV show but we'd always be so caught up talking that it rarely happened.  By about 8PM everyone was fighting sleep so we were usually in bed by 9PM at the latest.
Johanna being theocratic :-)

Balbina- the sister who opened her home to us.

My lil sister Cindy (who speaks fluent English!!)

The girls

Balbina's son Chris (our little brother)

Balbina and her husband Ignacio
 
All of us at the Special Assembly
Mi Nino
We found Mi Nino in service one day and brought him home to catch mice.  One night, I heard mice rustling through the cookie stash under my bed (HEY! I shared MOST of the food ok?!  Don't judge!)  Anyway I got up with a flash light to find the mouse but he was already on the job.  Unfortunately, after the mice were gone, he started raiding my cookies stash himself!  That's what I get for not sharing. 

Ranger (brown) and Princessa (black)
Ranger and Pricessa love field service also.  Sometimes they would follow us for miles into territories even sitting at our feet at each return visit.  One day I was very greatful for them.  I had to run an errand and so they followed me as always.  I had to pass by a bunch of animals as normal but I got to one group of cows and a bull and I could tell they were agressive.  Normally I can get them to clear the road but this was different.  The dogs ran ahead of me and kept looking back to see how far I was so I waited to see what they would do.  They rounded the cows and barked but the wouldn't budge.  They looked back at me and then at each other.  I saw them get up their nerve and try again.  This time all moved except the big black bull.  They went in for a third time and finally it walked away.  They jumped up giving each other doggie high fives and came back to lead the way for me.  Good dogs!




3 comments:

  1. Wow Kim! That's amazing. I'm sitting here really encouraged and impressed. Makes me feel really guilty about the nice house we'll be living in down there. Hope to see you soon. We're coming down for a year this time - starting the new service year there. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow these are amazing experiences. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jehovah definitely gives plenty of his spirit to the friends there to get the job done!

    ReplyDelete