Now You're Talking My Language!

What Are These?

Friday, July 13, 2012

Over the River and Through the Woods

Certain parts of this territory are only accessible during 6 months of the year--dry season.  As rainy season quickly approached We tried to get to these areas as frequently as possible.  I happened to start a really good study not too far from my house on the other side of one river.  We studied twice a week to get as far as we could before the river filled.  Just as rainy season began, we got a much anticipated shipment of Bibles and I was determined for her to have one to use over the next 6 months.  So a sister and I crossed the river to get to her.  I wasn't too concerned because I had waterproof boots.  However, mid way in the water went over my ankles so I ended up with sopping wet feet any way.  Once we crossed, the student showed up with her kids because they had to cross the river as well.  This time I watched how she did it.  She took off her shoes and carried each child one at a time across!  Once we reached the other side, I gave her her very own Bible and she was very happy and appreciative.

Student crossing with her son
My partner crossing next...


Me, trying to cross with out falling.

In my last few days, I wanted to say goodbye to this same student so I had to cross the river one last time.  I asked a local brother to come along and help me to navigate since I knew the water might be a bit higher.  We walk about a mile and a half through cow pastures and thick foliage below.  It's a beautiful walk.



 Once we got to the river, we could tell the current was faster and the water was higher but, we determined that it was ok to cross.
 Getting ready!


By the time we got to the middle, the water was no longer ankle deep but mid-thigh--the highest point at which people cross.  The current was too strong to even think about a photo at that point.  This time I crossed the way the locals do--barefoot.  Not an easy feat with slippery rocks!

I was so happy to get across that I went the wrong way up the bank and ended up 3 inches deep in mud :-(


No worries, went back in the river to wash it off and continued on!  Ah the rurals, gotta love it :-)

2 comments:

  1. Just amazing Kim!! What an experience. Where were you?? Love the pictures and stories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We were in Miramontes, it's near Boaco on the opposite side of Lake Nicaragua when coming from Granada :-)

    ReplyDelete