Now You're Talking My Language!

What Are These?

Sunday, October 31, 2010

Isletas

These photos are from an area in Granada called the Isletas.  These are islands within the lake which until recently were only serviced by a floating kingdom hall (which I am supposed to help with tomorrow and hope to have photos then).  Now however, there is a simple kingdom hall structure recently built out in the Isletas which will be helpful to the handful of bible students there although there are currently no publishers (Witnesses to teach).  Five of us went there yesterday to put up barbed wire to keep the goats out.

We could only drive but so far then we had to hike the rest of the way.



Here is the Kingdom Hall!
The bathroom.  Seriously.  I'm sure they will complete it once people start to meet here :-)

We had to drive holes into the ground insert large sticks for posts then fill with rocks and dirt before running more barbed wire to keep the goats out.


Oh yes, your girl is good with the tools despite how Lenin is looking at me! Oh sidebar note-I can explain the lumberjack look... I failed to heed warning of wearing long sleeves and having a umbrella in service so I broke out in a heat rash so now I am all covered up.  They all just shake their heads at me since I was trying to be cute.  Now every time they see me scratching my arms the call me "Job" :-(. It's almost gone now though, ha!


The job was taking longer than anticipated (maybe because I was taking so many pictures).  And we had no food and no more water or powerade.  Out of no where one of the bible students came by with two huge bowls of food for us!  Praise Jah!  The sister I was with said to follow her to go wash our hands.  I though we were going to the student's house; turns out we needed to "wash" our hands in the not so clean lake (no running water, duh!).  She is laughing at the look on my face.  (I followed it up with some hand sanitizer lol).


We hurried back to the bowls, pulled back the banana leaves covering them to reveal....








OMG look at the teeth!  I have a hangup with eating things that are looking at me but dog-gone-it I had worked up an appetite so I had to "Fear Factor" it. Hey it was really good!  I was relieved when most did not eat the head, although I was gonna give it a chance since I don't like to seem wasteful.  We gave the bones and heads to stray dogs so nothing went to waste.



We walked back to the student's little shack and washed up the dishes and thanked her and her mom.  Wash water is in the blue bucket.
Stove
Other side of the kitchen

View from the little shack


Mama and daughter fishing

Headed home!




No comments:

Post a Comment