Now You're Talking My Language!

What Are These?

Sunday, October 17, 2010

So many distractions!!!

I attend the Granada Oeste (West) Spanish congregation but am in the English group.  There  are only about 10 or so permanent people in our group with many others constantly coming for a few days, weeks or months at a time to help out.  We have our full meeting every Sunday but only have a ministry school every other week since there are not enough people.  I already have a really short attention span so focusing meetings are quite the challenge for me.  First off, I'm still trying to grasp Spanish.  I was doing really, really well the first two weeks I was here but then my brain just kind of burnt out from too much work.  By the time I calculate the numbers of the scripture in my head and get to it, they have moved on to the next one.  So, I'm listening and trying to focus on the little I can understand and then there is the noise.  Nicaragua is a NOISY place.  The doors of the hall are open to keep air flowing so we can hear 4 different radios from houses all around, people walking by yelling to one another and of course people driving trucks with loud speakers down the street spouting various messages.  And I just wouldn't be me if I didn't get distracted by the ice cream man rolling his cart back and forth beckoning me to the street for a treat.  I look longing at the door along with the kids.  Now to the inside distractions...There are bugs of all sorts here.  As I sit in the meeting, I can't help but notice all kinds of mosquitoes and other little critters landing on the shirt of the person in front of me.  As soon as I try to brush them off, they are right back!  So now I'm just watching them all gather for a little meet and greet and I start to wonder, "Is the same thing going on on MY back?!"  I start to feel things crawling all over me but keep telling myself it's all in my head.  I feel it on my neck...crawl down my dress, over my shoulder, down my arm...Although I know it's all in my head, I still discreetly reach down just to make my mind feel better only to find there really are bugs crawling on me!  I try not to freak out in the middle of the Spanish congregation of almost 100 people.  Of course there are always little kids sitting nearby staring and giggling at me as I shoot them mean looks and point at the brother speaking for them to pay attention.  Unfortunately, I am much more entertaining.  Once I get it together, I tell myself to stare at the brother speaking not at the person in front of me.  That lasts for all of 2 minutes before I start to notice little geckos running on the wall behind him.  They scurry up and down the wall at lightning speed and stop just as suddenly.  Will they jump on his head?  I start to think of the Geico commercials....FOCUS!  Then, the babies and kids all around are laughing and talking their gurggly gibberish and I notice the same one are still staring at me as I constantly rub my neck and arms trying to prevent anything from landing on me.  All of a sudden everyone is standing to sing the concluding song.  Man I have GOT to learn to concentrate here.

Me in front of the Kingdom Hall.  So excited I finally got a sun umbrella!  The CO house is attached to the left and the missionary home is attached to the back. 

Me taking random pictures of myself before my first meeting.  I'm under mosquito net around my bed.


Hall cleaning after the meeting


Darn you gecko!!!

3 comments:

  1. You better leave those Geckos alone. They eat the bugs. If you feel one on your back, let it crawllllllllll.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahahhahahahaha! I can't stop. I can't I-I-I can't stop laughing! hahahahah. Sorry Kim. haha. sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post! I've read a lot of blogs and It's nice you admitted the thought of the bugs made you a little paranoid lol

    ReplyDelete