Now You're Talking My Language!

What Are These?

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Welcome to Granada!

The city I live in is called Granada.  I was directed here by Bethel since it's a comparatively easy city for one to ease in to Nicaraguan culture.  It's about 15 square miles (a good portion of which I walk on a daily basis).  There are cars and buses however most people either walk, bike or take a taxi which costs 50 cents to any destination in the city.  In the center of town there are two or three streets dedicated to tourism.  There are street vendors selling, jewelery, food trinkets etc.  The street in front of city hall is lined with disgruntled citizens on one side and horse and carriages awaiting tourists on the other.  There are lots of hostels for adventure travelers and also small upscale hotels for the more distinguished visitor seeking a good spa and gourmet delicacies.  There is also an outdoor market which spans over a few streets.  You can find anything from meat (unrefrigerated), fruits and vegetables, underwear, bootleg movies and toiletries.  If you need something in Granada, you can find it at the market.  There are also two grocery stores, Pali and La Colonia which are set up pretty much like in the States.  I've included some pictures from my trip to Granada last December so that you can see the market.
This place has really good fresh desserts.  My first time there however, I was enjoying a custard filled pastry when I took a bite and a huge ant ran out!  That hasn't stopped me from going back though :-)





I made friends with two chickens like the one above that I found in a cage in our yard last night but couldn't find them today.  One guess what we had for diner :-(


I'm so happy....but so dizzy from the heat!

Standing in a store trying to cool down before tackling the heat again...



Some of the friends taking a SKYPE break a Kathy's Waffle House.  I really like the artwork.

Chocolate Cafeteria....oh how I love thee!

No comments:

Post a Comment