Now You're Talking My Language!

What Are These?

Thursday, December 22, 2011

Corazon de Vaca

I walked into the kitchen just now to find Clemen making a sauce that looked really good.  I always watch her cook so that I can try to recreate some of her dishes.  She started telling me what she was adding tomatoes, onions etc.  I was on board.  I decided to use it for chicken but she insisted it was better with beef.  She turned and added the final ingredient-a bowl of finely diced "beef."  I've seen her make miracles with alot of kinds of meat but this one was a little different.  She kept insisting it was just beef.  "What PART of the beef?"  I asked more specifically.  "corazon de vaca" she replied with a shy smile.  In English this is "cow heart."  Suddenly my face changed to horror and our conversation became "No!" "Si"..."No!" "Si"  "Nooooooooooo!!!!!"  Finally she just reached in the pan and offered me a piece. At first I hesitated with a frown then figured what the heck.  I stared at it on the spoon for awhile.  Sniffed it, poked it.  I made sure I had plenty of peppers and onions mixed in with the meat.  Finally, I put it in my mouth and...well.... not bad.  I don't think I'll be craving it anytime soon but I have to give it to her, she can make some pretty good cow heart!


Those are fried plantains on the left.


No comments:

Post a Comment