Now You're Talking My Language!

What Are These?

Thursday, December 15, 2011

Lesson in Depending on Jehovah

My current journey here in Nicaragua began about 14 months ago in September 2010.  Before coming, I sold/gave away 90% of my belongings and saved up enough to be here for 1 year.  In the back of my mind, I knew there was always a possibility of staying longer, but one year is what I had decided on.  Around May of this year, I made the trip back home (to Atlanta, GA) to see family and friends and to work for a few weeks in hopes of being able to stay in Nicaragua longer.  I learned a valuable lesson in depending on Jehovah during this time.  Before heading in back home, I did some leg work prepping my resume, making a few calls and sending out emails.  I even had a backup plan of doing some errand work if nothing panned out.  The problem is, I thought I was leaning on Jehovah but really, I was still leaning mostly on my own abilities.  This is a lesson I've definitely been refined in this past year but Jehovah took this as an opportunity to really show me how to depend on him.  I got to Atlanta and nothing came through job wise....NADA.  I couldn't even find a job walking dogs or holding a sign in traffic (believe me, I tried!).  Although I was a bit concerned, I was never panicked.  I enjoyed my time in the ministry everyday and remained diligent in prayer, asking Jehovah to show me a way to continue serving in Nicaragua.  By the end of the two weeks, I had not worked a single day.  I still was not worried.  A few days before I was to fly back, I talked to Jehovah a long time about my desire to still serve where the need is greater.  The only thing holding me back was finances.  I decided to use the money I still had in savings to buy what I needed for at least another 8-10 months.  I did so, confident that if it was Jehovah's will, he would provide just what I need right when I needed it.  Right before I got on the plane, I received a gift that covered what I had purchased.  As the plane took off for Managua, I knew everything was going to be just fine.  

No comments:

Post a Comment